Debate

We Welcome All Lively Debate.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

When You're A Celebrity, It's Adios Reality

I was reading up on Charles Manson last week, and his powerful manipulation of his family to essentially slaughter people for no reason. It got me thinking about how much I hate Roman Polanski.  For those of you who don't know, the connection here is that Polanski's former wife, Sharon Tate, was one of the Manson Family murders that gained media attention.  

So why do I hate Roman Polanski?  Those reasons are obvious.  I can't think of a single example where I'd rush to the defense of someone that drugged and anally raped a 13 year old in a hot tub (note, that's what he actually did, his plea bargain was for statutory rape). But hey, that's why I'm not in Hollywood.  Seriously, where do these clowns get off calling for this guy's release from what is basically Swiss house arrest (a vacation for most of us)?  Whoopi Goldberg and her retarded "It's not rape rape (I'm assuming because it wasn't vaginally), Woody Allen, Debra Winger - there doesn't seem to be any shortage of Hollywood whackjobs who feel making a great movie excuses the most deplorable behavior imaginable.  Polanski makes one good movie, and all of a sudden he's exonerated from a prison sentence that would have subjected him to his own torturous act.  Apparently Clint Eastwood could open of an elementary school dedicated to child rape with all the good movies he's made.  But Tom "Gunny" Highway wouldn't stoop so low.

And sadly, Polanski's not the only example of Hollywood's compassion towards dirt bags.  Michael Jackson, the king of pop, spent half his adult life defending his reputation (I originally wrote "honor" and immediately retracted that) against accusations of child molestation, baby hanging, having sleepovers with Macaulay Culkin, blah blah blah.  Why can't he be a good musician and a terrible person.  He received the same treatment this country's deceased Presidents get - moments of silence, large funeral gathers, I'm surprised they didn't have the flag at half mast for 50 days.  

In my opinion, we need to start employing some Catholic priests in Hollywood.  I say we get Jon Voight (known ultra-conservative) to hire a bunch of Catholic priests that have been surrounded in scandal, and have them start acting.  Clearly law suit settlements, admission of guilt and apologies, and denial hasn't worked. So it's time for a new PR campaign.  The only way you can get people to forgive you is to become among an elite group of hypocrites in southwest California. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've only named two of the most deplorable people in that celebrity category.  It would take too long to dive into the likes of Tiger Woods, Mel Gibson, Michael Vick, Chris Brown, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, et al.  But at least they stick to drugs, cheating on women, beating women, DUIs and other gray areas (kidding).

Why do we feel the need to give these people a free pass?  With the exception of NAMBLA, there isn't a person reading this who agrees with child rape.  Yet Polanski is still making films and comfortably living out his days in the Alps.  It's enough to make me sick to my stomach.  

Perhaps an enlightened liberal can explain this to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment