Debate

We Welcome All Lively Debate.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Angelina Jolie Should Stick to Adoption

So I'm gonna preference this with something you probably already knew.  I hate celebrities.  I was reading this article and it got me thinking, you know, of all of these celebrities that try to become the faces of these political hot topics.  This Angelina Jolie movie that is coming out soon is, of course, a love story between a Muslim woman and Serbian male in the midst of the early 1990s war.  Because there's always a love story.  As horrible as the Holocaust was, it put a lot of good Jewish women with perfectly good German soldiers (read: Nazi).  

Too bad the crap doesn't stop there.  George Clooney and Darfur, Bono and the entire continent of Africa, the list just keeps on going.  We hear about all the wonderful things these celebrities do, but we never hear the other side.  Until now. And Bosnian rape victims spoke loud and clear - Angelina Jolie is ignorant.  

Look I don't mean to say that these people don't care about these causes, nor that they shouldn't be involved in them - hell their interest alone probably inspires some of us lesser folks to get interested and active.  But the truth of the matter is, it's always with a tone of arrogance, and it pisses me off - and apparently it's not just me.  

But what's worse is that these celebrity actors say some of the stupidest things.  Bono, for example, thinks we should get rid of all debts obligated to Africa (I wish China would be so grateful to us).  Actually, reverse those two - the arrogance is worse.  We're never doing enough.  

These public figures serve a purpose because, like I said, they get other people engaged. Just don't shove it back in my face for not caring enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment